Gardner Builders – Minneapolis, MN
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions but does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. They may be subject to change at any time for reasonable accommodation or any other reason.
Gardner Builders requires a dynamic Project Manager to direct the daily operations of construction projects through:
Initiating business development:
- Generating project leads through ongoing professional relationships with owner and design communities
- Working with selected team on proposals and presentations, identifying special requirements and providing constructability reviews
- Leading the bidding process and creating pre-construction schedule for design, permit, and budgeting
- Developing trade partner bid list and overseeing project team members through the entirety of the estimating phase
- Participating in proposal presentations, representing Gardner’s vision, mission, and experience
Leading the project team through construction:
- Generating project timeline and identifying deliverables and task owners, mobilizing others when necessary
- Devising and executing owner contract and subcontracts according to project scope
- Creating control estimates for jobs upon being awarded and communicating budget information and payment distinctions to accounting
- Directing the work of each trade according to owner and architect requirements
- Developing submittal and RFI requirements and releasing as needed
- Mentoring and managing project engineers and assistants through the life of a project
- Maintaining consistent and effective communication with all team members including leadership of weekly project meetings
- Pricing owner and subcontractor change orders and submitting to project team
- Creating and submitting owner pay application, capturing potentially fluctuating project costs
- Approving subcontractor and materials invoices to ensure timely payment of all parties in conjunction with accounting team
- Updating project schedule and notifying subcontractors of expectations regularly
- Quickly and professionally resolving all issues that may arise with the project on the job site or in the office, assuming responsibility and mobilizing appropriate parties
- Communicating effectively with accounting to monitor owner payments, timely compensation of subcontractors, and receipt of lien waivers
- Acting as a hospitable point of contact between vendors and owners throughout job scope, communicating effectively on a day-to-day basis to ensure the delivery of excellent projects
- Ensuring minimal impact on the job site and a zero-punch list through continual communication with field employees and site visits
- Owning the job in all aspects, consistently reviewing drawings and communicating with all team members
Successfully closing out projects:
- Overseeing punch list process alongside Superintendent, acting as a point of contact for subcontractors and owner
- Implementing project closeout checklist and managing development of Operations and Maintenance manuals for all jobs
- Issuing punch list items to subcontractors and ensuring completion of all trades according to owner deadlines
- Preparing and submitting final billing upon delivery of Operations and Maintenance manuals
- Running post-project review with all team members
We exist to engage, inspire, learn and have fun.
Our core values are:
- Hospitality in all that we do
- Respect and team approach in communications with trade and design partners
- Maintaining positive and transparent relationships with clients as well as trade and design partners
- Assuming responsibility on the job site for any issues that could arise, handling in a timely fashion with warmth and professionalism
- Finishing projects as strongly as they’re started
- Mentoring project engineers and assistants and maintaining solid relationships with field employees
- Maintaining a proactive vs. reactive attitude and work ethic
- Working closely with project team and other departments to make sure clients’ needs are consistently met, never at the expense of the trade or design partners.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
Basic understanding of general contracting and the life cycle of a project.
Ability to manage several tasks at once and exercise independent judgment related to daily administration of projects.
Solid written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to relay highly detailed information between project managers, trade and design partners
Skill in the use of computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and project scheduling applications.
- Ability to effectively present information in oral, written, and graphic form.
- Demonstrated skills in organizing and evaluating information and proactively finding solutions for construction projects.
- Ability to read architectural plans and specifications.
- Proficient with Mac, ios, iPad, MS Project and other MS Office applications.
- Strong estimating, technical writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial, disciplined and organized personality.
Experience and Education
Minimum 3 -5 years of working experience as a project manager or in a similar position, preferably in general contracting. Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in construction management, engineering, or a related field. LEED accreditation preferred.
The employee must be able to utilize a computer to perform data entry, word processing, and spreadsheet operations. The employee must be able to communicate effectively with management, staff, and outside entities. The employee will be required to safely walk, stand, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, see and hear. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions at job sites, including wet and/or humid conditions, cold, and heat. For renovation work, hazardous material or conditions may be present in the existing building. The noise level at these sites may be unusually loud at times. Job sites may be dusty.
Job Type: Full-time
- Project Management: 5 years
- Construction: 5 years